You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
This role requires Canadian Enhanced Reliability Security clearance [a minimum of 5 years of consecutive residency in Canada].
The Canadian IT – Platform and Engineering team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with at least 5 years of Java application analysis and development experience. The successful candidate will have strong technical and problem-solving skills and will show initiative, be accountable for results.
What will you do?
- Lead and participate in the design, development, deployment of Java REST web service APIs and microservices using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Ensure service designs follow approved architecture.
- Learn and incorporate emerging API technologies into our APIs.
- Build event driven services using Kafka.
- Use and enhance our Dev Ops tools and processes for CD/CI, these tools include Jenkins, Artifactory, Bitbucket, Gradle, Continuous Delivery Director, Ansible
- Mentor and support colleagues in their capabilities
- Identify defects in services, debug and provide effective solutions to resolve the defects.
- When required, support existing APIs built on older technologies e.g., Websphere, DB2, Java UI etc.
The API Platform:
- Our APIs are
- REST services built from Open API/Swagger specs
- Written in Java Spring Boot,
- Deployed to a Kubernetes environment (on prem/AWS) using Docker containers
- Secured with oauth2 using Okta
- Build new microservices/domain services that populate and access database technology like MongoDB and Postgres
- Build event driven processes/microservices that consume topics from Kafka
What you need to succeed:
- Post secondary Computer Science diploma or degree
- More than 5 years of development skills and progressive information technology experience with full application development life cycle and systems integration experience
- Strong working experience with Java APIs, REST, SOAP, Spring, JSON, Open API, Swagger, web services and web hosting technologies
- 1+ years experience using DevOps tools (Jenkins, Artifactory, BitBucket, Maven, CDD/Ansible)
- 1+ years experience with Kafka
- Customer obsession – customers are at the center of all we do
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to analyze situations/problems systematically and deliver effective right-sized solutions in a timely manner
- Experience with managing and coordinating team activities in a multi-site environment.
- Strong organizational and planning skill
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience with Kubernetes, Okta, AWS, MongoDB
- Experience with Group Retirement products and business domains
- Working knowledge of Business Rule Management Systems such as IBM’s ODM
- Experience with WebSphere, DB2, Java UI: Swing, Spring MVC, SonarQube for static code analysis
- Exposure to Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) integration architectures and technologies
- Periodic weekend / after-hours work may be required to support project implementations and system upgrades.
- Occasional travel between SLF locations may be required depending on work assignments.
What’s in it for you:
- Great Place to Work® Certified in Canada and the US - 2022
- Great Place to Work® award for Best Workplaces for #HybridWork
- 2022 Named “Best Places to Work” by Glassdoor - 2021
- Canada Award for Excellence for Mental Health at Work
- 2021 Flexible hybrid work model including in-country work-from-home if you prefer.
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security.
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
80,000/80 000 - 130,400/130 400
IT - Application Development
Posting End Date: